Fort Jackson is the U.S. Army’s main production center for Basic Combat Training. Fort Jackson trains 50 percent of the Army’s Basic Combat Training load and 60 percent of the women entering the Army each year. Providing the Army with trained, disciplined, motivated and physically fit warriors who espouse the Army's core values and are focused on teamwork is the post's primary mission. Accomplishing that mission means training in excess of 36,000 basic training and 8,000 advanced individual training Soldiers every year.
Fort Jackson is also home to the U.S. Army Soldier Support Institute, the Armed Forces Army Chaplaincy Center and School and the National Center for Credibility Assessment (formerly the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute). Also home to Fort Jackson is the Army’s Drill Sergeant School, which trains all active and Reserve instructors.
The fort includes more than 52,000 acres, with more than 100 ranges and field training sites and 1,160 buildings. Soldiers, civilians, retirees and family members make up the Fort Jackson community. More than 3,500 active duty Soldiers and their 12,000 family members are assigned to the installation and make Columbia, SC their home.
Fort Jackson employs almost 3,500 civilians and provides services for more than 46,000 retirees and their family members. An additional 10,000 students attend courses at the Soldier Support Institute, Armed Forces Chaplaincy Center, National Center for Credibility Assessment and Drill Sergeant School annually.
McEntire Joint National Guard Base is a military airport located in the state of South Carolina, approximately 10 miles (16 km) west of the town of Eastover, SC and approximately 15 miles southeast of the city of Columbia, SC. It is owned by the U.S. Air Force affiliated with the South Carolina Air National Guard (SCANG). McEntire ANGS owns 2,344 acres and leases approximately 64 acres from the State of South Carolina. The base is named for the late Brigadier General Barnie B. McEntire, Jr., the first commander of the SCANG and its first general officer. McEntire died on May 25, 1961 when he rode his malfunctioning F-104 Starfighter into the Susquehanna River to avoid crashing in the populated area of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The base was previously known as Congaree Air Base and was used in World War II as a U.S. Marine Corps training base.
The South Carolina Air National Guard was formed in December 1946. Today 1,250 members train at McEntire JNGS. About 900 of those are traditional Guard men and women. About 300 are full-time federal employees (technicians). About 50 are state employees (some of them are also traditional Guard members). The 169th Fighter Wing is the primary unit of the SCANG. An Army National Guard aviation unit is also a tenant on the base.
The base has a total 95 buildings: 90 industrial, 4 administrative and one services totaling 263,000 square feet. There is no family or transient housing. There are 550 full-time ANG personnel on base which increases to 1300 one weekend per month. Additionally, there is a small cadre of Army personnel on base, increasing to 400 every other weekend.
Shaw Air Force Base is a United States Military facility located approximately 8.4 miles (13.5 km) west-northwest of Sumter, South Carolina, and approximately 36 miles from Columbia, SC. It is under the jurisdiction of the United States Air Force Air Combat Command . Shaw Air Force Base is a self-contained town supporting more than 5,400 military and civilian employees and 11,000 family members. It is one of the largest military bases operated by the United States.
The base is home to the Air Force's largest combat F-16 wing -- the 20th Fighter Wing -- whose mission is to provide combat-ready airpower and combat-ready Airmen to meet any challenge, anytime, anywhere. Shaw also serves as home to Headquarters Ninth Air Force, U.S. Air Forces Central, Third Army, U.S. Army Central and many other tenant units.
The history of the 20th Fighter Wing traces itself back to 1927 with the authorization of the 20th Balloon Group. From these humble beginnings, the 20th Pursuit Group was formed in 1930. After World War II the redesignated 20th Fighter Group was inactivated in October 1945. Nine months later the Group was reactivated. In 1947 the 20th Fighter Group was assigned to the newly activated 20th Fighter Wing and in 1955 the group was absorbed by the wing.
As the host wing, the 20th Fighter Wing also retains the responsibility for providing facilities, personnel and material for the base's operation. These include childcare, you programs, education, family lodging, outdoor recreation, a a consolidated club, golf, library services, bowling, equipment rental, private animal care clinic, skeet and trap range, fitness center, arts and craft center, commissary, base exchange and clothing exchange. Major components of the 20 FW include:
The 20th Operations Group - employs approximately 80 F-16CJ fighter aircraft in conventional and anti-radiation suppression of enemy air defenses, strategic attack, counter-air, air interdiction, joint maritime operations and combat search-and-rescue missions.
The 20th Maintenance Group - operates the 20th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, the 20th Component Maintenance Squadron, the 20th Equipment Maintenance Squadron and the 20th Maintenance Operations Squadron.
The 20th Medical Group – provides ambulatory medical and dental services to the 20th Fighter Wing, Headquarters 9th Air Force and associate units. It is an outpatient clinic with 24-hour ambulance transport service.
6802d Air Support Operations Squadron - provides tactical command and control of air power assets to the Joint Forces Air Component Commander and Joint Forces Land Component Commander for combat operations.